Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Shall We Learn Spanish?

We bought a Rosetta Stone computer program a year ago hoping to learn Spanish. We also have several Spanish language course CDs for driving. My husband has faithfully listened most week days with his hour drive to and from work. He has done quite well. He can pick out words now but it still all runs together for me. Unfortunately, I don't retain new information very well these days. Perhaps I could if I really was immersed for months on end. Maybe I could pick up some conversational Spanish out of desperation if it was the only way I could communicate.

I have been looking at Spanish language programs with the idea of studying Spanish during our first month south. Seems it might be a practical thing to do. Not that one can begin to become fluent in a few weeks but knowing more wouldn't hurt us that is for sure. There are schools in Mexico, Panama and Ecuador and I still don't know where we are going to head for sure. It is also hard to judge the quality of these schools based on the internet as of course every school advertises itself as the best.

So the research goes on......

2 comments:

  1. I took French immersion at University. A semester that was entirely French courses--25 hours in the classroom each week. I learned a whole lot of French in a very short period of time. Of course I was a bit younger back then LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra,
    I just happened across your add on Kijiji which led me to your blog.
    I have a 2 bedroom house about 5 minutes drive south of Akumal on the Riviera Maya.
    We usually rent by the week but have considered doing a longer rental. If you'd like to see some pics and some info on the house please visit http://www.funseekersparadise.com/enter.asp
    Or email me at Nolan.Clark@funseekersparadise.com

    Hope your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete